Monday, April 16, 2007

mumbai shopping - the train



Opportunities for shopping in the city are endless. I particularly like the 'train shopping' when they are not too crowded (this is an example of such an occasion) vendors come thru with a variety of wares. Last week, I purchased stickers and a hair clip. Other items available range from food (usually evening trains, when you need a pick me up of course), reading material, towels, key rings, ear rings, bindis, bangles, toys, coloring books and many other items.

This particular vendor will pass a box of her goods around for ladies to look at while she walks through out the car, very trusting I think. Then comes back, you tell her what you want to buy and she gives you a price. On the trains I have noticed I get the same price as everyone else, not the foreigner price, maybe that is why I like it so much!

8 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

Excellent sales technique...catch your customers when they can't move and are looking for distraction.
Colourful photo.
Angela

1:16 PM  
Blogger Fabrizio Zanelli said...

I love so much this kind of colourful photo. But in this photo what I liked more is your precise description about it. Thank you very much and please, take any kind of "life" photo. You see, Indian culture is fascinating and also very far from western culture in which we are used.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a colorful group of people. In Japan, in 1953, there were people who sold food to passengers on the trains. Mostly hot steaming bowls of noodles. I often wondered what happened to the bowls.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I really enjoy the long distance trains in India where you can get all your meals served up by vendors coming thru on the train. What is better than waking up on an overnight train, to 'omlette' 'chai', 'hot coffee'...breakfast in bed!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Crankyputz said...

I think its pretty cool that you take the train....

7:03 PM  
Blogger slaint said...

i think its weird the foreigners who don't take the train.. i mean it really does save you time most of the time and you really get to experience life in Mumbai like you never could looking out of your AC car window!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I think the train is the fastest way, if you live close to a station. But car, with a driver, how many foreigners would travel is probably more comfortable...no armpits, I can't stand to travel between 8 and 11 am and the worst is 6 to 9 or even 10 at night. And god bless you if you have a bag of any size...not for the weary!

Which we aren't slaint...plus you can't get good pics from the back seat of a car. ha!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my parents recently visited from the States and i was unsuccessful at getting them to ride the train here. i agree with slaint... nothing beats the train and its efficiency and of course color..

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home