Tuesday, April 17, 2007

mumbai shopping - mangaldas market


Cloth, cloth cloth...and sarees and materials for salwar kameez. This indoor cloth market with 100s of stalls set up is located in downtown Mumbai, near the better known, Crawford Market.

I am a complete idiot in regards to domestic things such as sewing and fabric, but the vendors here are fairly helpful, tell me how much fabric I would need for pants a particular length. Other customers coming by were also helpful, offering their unsolicited advice as many Indians do here! Can be extremely useful at times.

See, a tomboy from Oklahoma can be domesticated! I now have 3 new pairs of pants and a couple of kurtas, feels good to have done it myself (well a tailor did sew it).

photo credit- anna, my photos were not as crisp and colorful as this one was. If you want to see more of the market will put pics on my blog. Those are mine!

6 Comments:

Blogger freelancer said...

Great shot, very colorfull

10:41 AM  
Blogger Stacie said...

thx but as I said,credit goes to anna, I stole her pic. Mine did not turn out as good.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Fabrizio Zanelli said...

The photo is great but what daily love is to read your description. So, today I learned how people there seems to be friendly and helpful :-)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

kind of running joke with some friends, helpful I love but many times people just tell you how which type of bread you should have, "take that one it is best for you" when no I want brown bread, thank you.

Or unsolicited advice or opinions like, 'you are looking fat' or 'your hair looks bad that way, take it down'. Maybe I am not used to all the honesty! Overall, it is a very positive experience and the help is needed or useful, guess it is ok to know I am putting on weight, but I had already figured that out on my own!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's an indian thing to make some comment on physical appearance when u meet someone, like "u hv gained/lost weight," "u hv grown a beard. u looked better before" etc. it's very common. just a difference between western & indian culture.

-Francis.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really interesting story...we Indian are 'zara hatke' from mwestern people.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home