Thursday, November 02, 2006

Mattress cleaning

 
Mattress cleaning the old fashioned way.. or at least the Indian way! Most of India still uses custom made mattresses in their homes. These mattresses are basically thick cloth filled with loose cotton. Apparently you should have your mattress cleaned frequently and luckily there are guys like this one who walk around looking for customers! His process: Take all of the cotton out of the mattress, beat it for a while with a think stick like instrument, then he will put the cotton through this weird instrument. After he has "cleaned" all of the cotton through his instrument, he will put it all back in the cloth. Now your mattress will be fluffy and full again! Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

a real eye-opener. Thanks for sharing!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

Fascinating. I love the things we learn in these blogs.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great capture...I remember seeing them since my childhood..they used to create sounds with the tight strings attached to the tool like a guitar and all the kids used to gather around them while they hunt for the business across streets...

1:04 PM  
Blogger slaint said...

Yeah I always heard the sounds from my apt, but had no clue what they were until my friend had his mattress cleaned the other day! I was mesmerized.. I could have sat there all afternoon watching him. And things haven't changed.. he was still surrounded by kids!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ashiya said...

That IS fascinating-I honestly wonder about the mattresses quite often; is that odd?

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home