Tuesday, November 14, 2006

machli week

 
I should have decided this earlier and put the photos in a nice order, but there are just several I want to show from the local fishing community - so now you are stuck with a few more days of fish!
Right by the sea, where the fishermen bring in their morning/evening catch is also where they dry the fish. I do not understand why some are dried and others are sold "fresh", perhaps a reader can englighten me! But these are some scary looking fish that I would not want to find on my dinner plate. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure are some scary ass fish. Right out of some horror flick.

- Vikas

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These fishes which are dried are a delicacy in India. They are atleast 3-4 times expensive than the fresh fish.

They are dried in pure sea-salt and then preserved for a typical monsoon season, when the fisherman dont venture out in the sea for fishing.

Ummmmm....fried dried prawns, pomfrets. Ooooooohhh..!! Mouth watering...!!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Ashiya said...

mmm. I love machli-especially, marinated in mirchi and fried. There is nothing better than having some machli, chawal, aur dahi...mmm

4:37 AM  
Blogger DXBluey said...

Really cool shot. I agree with the first comment too! Scary looking things...

9:37 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

They look like something I've seen before called baracuda. Do you know what kind of fish they are? Are they what ashiya called machli?

8:44 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ok, now I found the Machli post and understand the ones above. Still looks scary to me though!

8:46 PM  
Blogger slaint said...

machli just means fish.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fish pictured is called - "baangda" in the local Marathi lingo.

It is very tasting when deep fried covered with a very spicy "marathi" flavored batter.

Ummmmmm...!! baangda....fried baangda.... ummmmmm...!
(a la Homer Simpson.)

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home