Thursday, June 22, 2006

dhabba walla

I'm back to Mumbai finally! Since I'm still suffering from jet lag I've only left the house for a quick errand and saw my favorite thing in India - the tiffin delivery man! And oh how modern he is with his cell phone in one hand cruising down the street! (Tiffin's are the silver boxes hanging from his bicycle, these are used as lunch boxes. Often people will order from a tiffin walla or their wives (or probably in reality, the cook!) will cook the food, prepare the tiffin and then a man like this will collect them and deliver to the persons work. Nothing like home cooked food to keep you fed during your long work day. (sorry his head is slightly cut off - he was zipping past and this was the only photo i could catch!) Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

What a great service!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love this slice of life in Mumbai. Great shot...the cut off head only makes it seem like more of an action shot.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Stacie said...

I just saw in the paper where the wallas have a website and are using mobiles for people to sign up for service.

A local university has asked one of the managers of the wallas to come and lecture at their business school.

And remember a couple of them were invited and attended prince charles and camilla's wedding, was it their wedding? are they even married?

10:00 PM  
Blogger Marie McC said...

Great idea, and the food far surpasses what I could run out and get on my lunch break!

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home