Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Weighing his options

I imagine that this profession is also unique to Mumbai, or at least to Indian cities: the scale walla. For just one rupee (a little more than $0.02), Mumbaikars can find out how much they weigh. Unfortunately, although a half dozen of these guys operate in the vicinity of Kings Circle, I have never seen a customer procure their services. I pass this man on my daily commute, as he waits patiently for a weight-conscious passerby. (I paid him a rupee for this photo, but I didn't step onto the scale.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Lorethian said...

I love this shot, but it would never work in the US. Over here we think about our weight to much to step on that scale.

http://kansascitydailyphoto.blogspot.com/

8:13 PM  
Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

great portrait! you have such a wonderful way of capturing people.

kualalumpurdailyphoto

10:48 PM  
Blogger stéphanie et arnaud said...

nice shot! You're right, we don't have guys like that in france!

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You paid him Rs.1 and didn't step on the scale? Coward! Tee! Hee!

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home