Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bandra Village
























This photo is very telling of the feel of the neighborhood I live in, which I've heard called "Bandra Village". It is, roughly speaking, the network of lanes that twist around chaotically behind Waroda Cross Road, which, runs parallel to Hill Road, Bandra's historical aix principal, east-to-west from SV Road and Bandra Station.

The area is almost entirely Catholic, and full of people of Portuguese-Indian fisherfolk descent. At last week's Kitab Festival, a literary event in Mumbai, Naresh Fernandes, editor of Time Out Mumbai, read a personal essay about how in his grandmother's lifetime, all of Bandra went from looking like this--a sort of idyllic, fishers-and-farmers market district, to the "post-industrial hell" that it is now. I quite like it now, but it was still an interesting essay.

This is the fruit seller on Waroda Cross Road, just up from my flat, with one of the (literally) hundreds of crucifixes erected in memory of some local resident. The left side plaque says "Our Lady of Vajlakramani," but the right side (not visible) says "Out Lady of Fatime". Almost everyone in my building is Indian, but has a Portuguese name like "Gonsalves," "Da Silva," or "Rodrigues".

5 Comments:

Blogger isa said...

Very informative blog, Robbie. I'm learning a lot about the modern India here.
And it must be great to have a fresh fruit vendor so close by ...

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

India's Cristian/Catholic culture is a whole side of India that never gets much mention in the west. A little more info on the purported apparitions at Vailankanni:

http://www.annaivailankanni.org/annaivailankanni/history.html

6:50 PM  
Blogger Flypig said...

Small planet :D
I am a classmate of Naresh's brother!
I rather like your blog that shows the simple everyday pics. I've been trying some street photography too and posting to flickr.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Crankyputz said...

hey, i'm one of those weird catholic indian's with that portugese last name...I love and Miss Bandara, had such a great time when I was there last month....we are from Pali Hill, whilst my grand parents place is on Hill road....or rather the road just south of that Bazzar Road.....Sigh, your pictures are making me nostalgic...

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes, I have been here. Very village - the criss cross small lanes - they are small , but yet so big in giving a very comfort, secure feeling of being home -

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home